4 cups orange juice
- 12 ancho chilies, seeds and membranes removed, tstd.
- 12 pasilla chilies, seeds and membranes removed, tstd.
- 4 piquin chilies, seeds and membranes removed, tstd.
- 1 onion
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 bulbs garlic
- 2 tsp thyme6 cloves
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 TB oregano
- 2 stick cinnamon
- 6 allspice berries
- 4 TB sea salt1 oz Pepitos, tstd.
- 2 whole chickens, cut into pieces
- 2 TB vegetable oil or lard
Heat the orange juice with the chilies and steep for 20 minutes; remove and puree with onion and vinegar in blender; reserve.Using a mortar, grind the garlic, thyme, cloves, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, allspice, salt and pepitos; add to the chili mixture and adjust consistency with orange juice as needed.
Place the chickens and chili mixture into large baggie and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.For cooking, remove from marinade and place large roasting pan with oil/lard and roast, covered at 350ÂºF for approximately 70 minutes; adjust temperature to 450ÂºF and roast uncovered for 10 â€“ 15 minutes longer; remove and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.