APPLE FIG DUMPLING
First make up your own pie crust using our Food Processor version of pie crust pastry. Next, prepare your fruit and sugars and spice and everything nice!
- 1-2 pounds apples, Gravenstein or other heirloom variety, washed, peeled, seeded and cored, quartered or eighths
- 1/2 pound black mission figs, cut into halves or quarters
- 3-5 Tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon each nutmeg
- 1 cup small chop hazelnuts or walnuts, optional
- 1 double pie crust recipe
Blend butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, coriander, allspice, ginger, nutmeg into smooth toffee mixture. Add hazelnuts.
Roll pastry dough and cut into 6 inch circles.
For open face dumplings use a wide muffin top pan. Place each circle dough pans and slip them gently to fit bottom. Place 1 tablespoon of filling on bottom; add 3-4 pieces apple with 2-3 pieces fig or until filled. Continue until dough and filling are gone; 5-8 portions total. Top each with remaining sugar toffee nut mixture. Let crust fold over filling randomly.
Bake at 400°F for 13-15 minutes or until pastry is brown and fruits are tender. Cool slightly. Serve immediately.
Serving suggestions: Serve with goat cheese crema by whipping a small amount of mild goat cheese with lightly sweetened whipped cream.
Or serve with vanilla or coriander ice cream.
Variation: For dumpling pouches, make as above maybe using slightly less filling. When filled, pinch pastry dough over filling to make a pouch. Bake on ungreased baking sheet as above.