As served in “A Nightmare Before Christmas” Halloween Party, this sandwich, a New Orleans original, can be served baked or cold. It is full of Italian favorites and a pickled vegetable-olive salad or tapenade that is traditionally served in round crusty bread.
1 cup pitted green olives , chopped coarse
- 1 cup pitted black olives , chopped coarse
- 3/4 cup EVOO
- 4 ounces roasted red peppers (jarred), drained and chopped fine (1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large (9-inch) round Italian or French bread
- 8 ounces Mortadella, Italian bologna, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces hard salami, thinly sliced
Method: For the olive salad: Stir all of the ingredients together, cover, and refrigerate for 8 or up to 24 hours.To assemble the sandwich: Drain the olive salad, reserving the marinade. Cut the bread in half horizontally and remove most of the interior crumb. Brush both inside pieces of the bread with the reserved marinade and place half of the olive salad in the hollowed-out bread and top with the sliced mortadella, provolone, and salami. Top with the remaining olive salad. Place on sheet pan; put sheet pan on top and weight with foil covered bricks to press until sandwich compresses, about 30 minutes or up to 6 hours in refrigerator. Place into 350-degree oven and bake about 30 minutes or until bread is crisp and cheese starts to melt. Remove weights and cut it into wedges to serve.