3 pounds mussels, cleaned & debearded
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bread crumb topping:
- 2 Tablespoons butter (or EVOO)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 cups toasted bread crumbs
Place first garlic, shallots, wine, parsley, tarragon, and bay leaf in a stockpot over high heat, and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover, and cook just until the mussels open, about 8 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open.
Blend butter, garlic, herbs and bread crumbs. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mussels from the cooking liquid to cookie sheet. Stuff with bread crumb mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place under broiler and brown crumbs. Serve hot.