CRACKED WHEAT (BULGUR) SALAD
This was served in our June 2012 dinner show, but we made it with raw beets.
To prepare the bulgur
- 1 cup toasted cracked wheat (we use Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Flavors of Middle East spice blend
- Salt to taste
- To finish the salad:
- 1 cup fresh raw beets, julienne
- 1 cucumber, peeled seeded & diced*
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chives, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
- 1-2 tablespoon preserved lemon, rinsed and minced
- 2-4 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 ounces crumbled feta (bleu cheese or other) for garnish
2 cups arugula (optional) dressed with a little EVOO, salt, pepper, coriander
Toast bulgur /cracked wheat in dry hot pan until you smell the nuttiness. Add the water and bring up to boil over high heat. When it boils, cover and shut off heat. Let pot stand for15 minutes, and then another 10 before serving or cooling completely. To cool completely for the salad, spread out onto cookie sheet and cool uncovered until it is 40°F or less. When cooled, finish with beets, preserved lemon, mint, parsley and chive. Garnish with crumbled bleu cheese.
*to seed cucumbers, peel whole cucumber. Lay on board and split lengthwise. Using a teaspoon drag along the seeds to remove them, then lay onto flat side and slice 1/2 inch lengthwise slices. then crosswise cuts to dice.