CHEESECAKE, CANNOLI FLAVORED RICOTTA CHEESECAKE
The flavors of this cheese cake resemble ricotta cheese canoli filling with the candied fruits and chocolate pieces, baked with a canoli shell crumb crust.
3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 pounds ricotta cheese, well-drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Arborio rice that has been cooked in milk (1 cup raw rice to 1 quart 10 ounces of milk)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup each candied pineapple, chopped; pistachios; chocolate chips
- JUICE of 1/2 small lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or Grand Marnier
- 3 egg whites, well beaten
- 1 recipe for crumbled cannoli crust, unbaked (see recipe)
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Beat yolks for 2 minutes until foamy and pale yellow. Add cheese, cooked rice, sugar, zest, cream, lemon juice, and vanilla or Grand Marnier. Fold in egg whites and candied pineapple, nuts, chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan with cannoli crumbs.
Bake 30 minutes. Check and rotate pan in oven and bake 8-10 more minutes. Turn off oven, leaving cake in oven, time 4 more minutes. Cake should be set but not cracked.
Cool completly before serving.
TO PREPARE PAN: Place purchased or homemade cannoli shells in a food processor with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; pulse until very fine. Butter the pan bottom and sides. Coat the butter with cannoli crumbs.