CARAMEL APPLE LEMON CAKE
We use up the last of our backyard apples in this lemony light heirloom apple cake dessert.
- 3 ounce salted
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- 3 tablespoons water
- For the cake: 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, set aside to cool
- 3 cups sliced golden delicious, granny smiths or our golden russet, cut into forths and sliced
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon, grated fine
- Juice of 1/2 - 1 lemon
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons milk room temperature
- 2/3 cup EVOO
Preheat oven 350°F. Prepare muffin top pan. Mix caramel by combining the first 4 ingredients in small sauce pan; heat to dissolve sugar. Set aside. Melt butter; set aside until needed for the cake.
To make cake: Sift flour and baking powder. Set aside. Blend lemon zest and sugar by rubbing in zest with fingers. With mixer, beat eggs into sugar and zest on medium until mixture is pale yellow. With mixer on lowest speed, add milk, flour mixture, lemon juice, melted butter, and EVOO; Mix until blended. Add caramel and apples to the pan; place 1 ounce caramel syrup into the prepared pan. Add 1/4 cup peeled and sliced apples.
Pour 1/3 cup or #12 scoop of cake batter on top of apples in prepared pan.
Bake 350•F until golden and about 25 min. Rest on cooling rack for 10 minutes before removing by turning out onto another cooling rack. Serve with lightly sugared whipped cream.
Yield: 12 muffin pan size individual cakes.