CECI SAFFRON PUREE
chickpeas a.k.a. ceci beans, garbanzo beans
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shoots rosemary, washed, left whole, optional
- 1 cup tomato sauce or chicken stock, heated
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 pound cooked garbanzo, aka, Ceci, chickpeas
- 1 cup warm water
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook over medium heat until the garlic begins to brown. Remove rosemary shoots; add the tomato sauce, water and saffron; continue to simmer.
Meanwhile, the chickpeas into the bowl of a food processor and puree. Place the chickpeas and warm water with the tomato sauce mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil; reserve warm for service.
Chef’s Note: refer to recipe for cooking dried beans if using dried beans instead of cooked or canned.