CHILI - ALL VEGETABLE for A La Carte
- 5 cups dried red or pinto beans, brined & soaked
- 2 cup dried lentils
- 2 Tablespoons Flavors of Spain seasoning, salt free
- 2-3 tablespoons EVOO for cooking
- 1 cup, 3-4 carrots, diced
- 1 cup, 2-3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups, 1-2 onion, diced
- 8-10 cloves garlic, sprout removed, sliced
- 3 jalapenos, cleanded, seaded, halved
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons thyme, dried
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1 tablespoon dry paprika
- 1 #10 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3-4 tablespoons cornmeal
To prepare beans: Place dried beans into 1 gallon cold water to which 3 Tablespoons of salt has been added. Soak over night or up to 2 days. To cook the soaked beans, drain, rinse and put into pot. Cover with water that is flavord with 1 tablespoon Flavors of Spain seasoning. Cooke 30-45 minutes until just tender. Set aside or cool in refrigerator until needed.
To prepare lentils: Place into pot. Cover with water to 1/2 inch over top. Add 1 tablespoon Flavors of Spain seasoning, if desired. Cook gently until soft but not mushy. Set aside or cool until needed.
To prepare chili: Place evoo into deep pot on medium heat. When hot add onion, celery and carrots; when onion is translucent add garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of chili powder, dry mustard, cumin, paprika, thyme, oregano, paprika. Add tomatoes and bring to simmer. Add jalapenos. Simmer approximately 30 minutes. Add beans and lentils. Bring back to simmer. Taste for seasoning. Addjust salt and seasoning (using remaining 1 Tablespoon of chili, if needed). Lastly stir in cornmeal.