CHORIZO NAVARRE BROTH
2-3 medium potatoes, red skin on, dice and blanch
- 2-3 shallots, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 4-6 ounces chorizo, Navarre, peeled and diced 1/2 inch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano, fresh
- 1 teaspoon cracked coriander
- 2 cups seafood stock from halibut bones or other white fish
- 1/2 head of escarole, ribbon cut for garnish
- Anchovy liquor, optional, drizzled for finishing - garnish
Blanch prepared potatoes by dropping into boiling salted water (3 tablespoon per 1 gallon water) for 3-5 minutes. Drain and remove to sided sheet pan and cool down quickly. Use or keep refrigerated until needed.
Add enough EVOO to bottom of preheated Dutch oven pot. Add shallots, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook until vegetables are aromatic and still firm. Add wine, saffron, chorizo, salt, oregano and coriander. Cook 3 minutes; add stock and potatoes; bring up to boil 3-6 minutes. Taste broth and adjust seasoning with salt and coriander and black pepper. Garnish with shredded escarole and serve with pan-fried white fish like halibut.
Chef’s Note: By cooking the fish separately you ensure browning and will not over cook in hot broth.