This one is made more like an oyster stew than a clam chowder because of the butter.
- 5 pounds steamer clams in the shell, cleaned by placing in 2 quarts warm water with 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt for 30 minutes,
- as needed EVOO
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 stalks celery, small dice
- 3 medium carrots, small dice
- 1/2 bottle white wine
- At Service have ready: 1 quart whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced 1/2 inch
- 2 Tablespoons ground coriander
- sea salt as needed
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 tablespoons alted butter
Place oil in roasting pan with lid over medium heat. Add vegetables and cook until aromatic. Add wine and bring to simmer. Add clams, stirring to distribute. Then cover. Over high heat wait till the lid gets too hot to touch then add 30 seconds more. Remove the lid and take opened clams out to shallow pan for cooling. Drain vegetables from liquid and cool them and liquid separately. Once clams are cool enough to handle, remove them from their shells, and chop. Reserve in the refrigerator for service.
At service, place clam broth in medium sauce pot with milk, cream and half of the potatoes. Bring to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender approximately 20 minutes. Puree the potatoes in the pot using an immersion blender. Otherwise, use regular blender once mixture cools down. Add seasonings and remainging potatoes. Cook additional 10 minutes or until added potatoes are tender. Add reserved vegetables from cooking the clams, and heat through.Finish with dry sherry. Reserve.
Meantime, place butter into suate pan and heat to melt. Add clams and cook to heat through. Add them to the chowder base and serve immediately.