CHICKEN, DO AHEAD LAYERED & THEN TOSSED GREEN SALAD WITH CHICKEN
This salad is a good one to take to a cover-dish event or family dinner. We make the dressing and leave it on the bottom of a glass salad bowl. Then put greens and vegetables on top. When you arrive at the party, simply toss and serve!
WOW weekend this year (2012) LUNCH SHOW was all about the food trend for flatbreads. Cathy Higgins and Lenore dreamed up six different toppings and could have done more! This salad went along with the flatbreads perfectly. It calls for chicken, but adapts with a simple substitution for a great way to employ leftover turkey.
- 2 Crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons juice lemon
- 2 tablespoons paprika vinegar (we use Piment d'espelette)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 3/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- Freshly ground black pepper and coriander to taste
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan, more to taste (*)
- 4 cups romaine
- 2 cups escarole
- 1 cup radicchio
- 1cup frisse
- 2 cups sliced seeded cucumber
- 1 cup pickled peppers (optional) see recipe
- 1 cup slice red radish
- 2 cups grapes, seeded, cut in half
- 2 cups grilled chicken, cubed or sliced in bite size pieces (see recipe)
(*) You can either add Parmesan to the dressing or in the salad as a layer.
Blend first five ingredients. Whisk in olive oil slowly to form emulsification. Place in the bottom of clear glass salad bowl. Add greens in layers along with other vegetables. (see chef notes below)
Refrigerate until needed up to 8 hours. Toss and serve. (If the dressing is very cold it will not easily coat greens unless you dump into larger bowl and toss with tongs until it is all incorporated. Place back into glass bowl to serve. Finish with a bit of olive oil on top.
Chef Notes: Greens for this salad should be well dried after washing. Then they must be put back into the refrigerator to crisp before using. Cucumbers are seeded to reduce the water. Drain the picked peppers and blot on paper towel before layering into the salad. Top that layer with a few more greens then place grapes around leaving center open. Place Parmesan cheese in the center (unless you added it to the dressing). Top with chicken.