Make these with Italian Eggplant to be more authentic but we like to use the Japanese.
- 2 eggplants, washed (peel if using globe eggplants out of season)
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into sticks as wide as eggplant roll up
- 3 ounces pecorino cheese, cut in small sticks as wide as eggplant roll is to be
- 1 recipe of marinara sauce, or purchased product
- 1/4 cup each parsley, basil, minced. blotted dry
- 1 cup EVOO
- pancetta, fried crisply and crumbled for garnish
Prepare one recipe of winter tomato sauce.Set aside until needed at service. Wash and thinly slice lengthwise eggplants; season with salt pepper coriander. Fry the slices of egg plant in hot oil briefly just to make pliable for rolling. Lay out and fill the center with cheeses and herbs. Roll up from skinny end cradling cheese inside. Heat the tomato sauce you plan to use.
To finsh for service. Heat rolled eggplant in oiled baking dish in oven heated to 375ºF for 5-7 minutes. Remove and place over heated sauce on the plate. Garnish with more fresh herbs. Serve
Optional: Add crispy fried pancetta, crumpled.
Chef’s note: You may wish to fill the rollups with more than cheese. We suggest perhaps some pine nuts and grapes or raisins, or use bread crumbs and olives and anchovies.