FLAVORS OF CANTONESE
Chef Bob’s love of Asian cuisine combined with his early experience with chefs from China, has inspired this blend. It is only slightly reminiscent of Chinese Five Spice blends, as he departed slightly to encourage its use in more dishes. That is why Chef cannot say this is even close to being authentic Cantonese, because he blends in a favorite Japanese spice called “Togarishi,” which itselve contains chili pepper, orange peel, black sesame seed, Japanese chili, ginger and seaweed. In the end, our Cantonese blend of cloves, coriander, star anise, cinnamon, cumin, plus the spices in the “Togarishi” achieves his goal to make a versatile blend to use often.
- 3 1/4 teaspoons star anise, ground
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 3 1/4 teaspoons Sichuan peppercorns, ground
- 3 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 3 1/4 teaspoons cloves, ground
- 3 1/4 teaspoons coriander
- 3/4 teaspoons black cardamom, ground
Blend together and store in dry air tight container in cool dark place. Use frequently to impart an Asian flavor profile.