FRIED RICE, BASIC using leftovers
Make the basic fried rice with previously cooked rice and add leftover vegetables and cut up cooked chicken (chic peas, pork or other protein) and you have dinner for four.
Optional: You may wish to replace half the white rice with any combination of cooked/cooled grains, legumes or other. We have enjoyed quinoa, long gain basmati, brown rice, and wild rice seed, for example.
Basic fried rice:
- 1-2 Tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup carrot, small dice, 1-2 carrot
- ½ cup celery, small diced, 1-2 celery
- 3 cups cooked rice, chilled (1 cup white rice and 2 cup brown rice or any combination you want; all one or the other)
- 2 eggs, scrambled with 1 tablespoon water
- 1-3 each tablespoons soy sauce and sesame oil(Note: use soy for flavor, not salt)
- 2 tablespons fresh green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (may use parsley)
- Seasonings with sea salt, coriander & white pepper (optional)
- Add 2 ounces per person cooked chicken and 1 cup per cooked vegetable variety
- Chopped peanuts, optional garnish
Place a sauté pan on high heat with small amount of oil and heat; add carrots and celery; cook through; add chicken if using till heated through or cooked; season with salt, and coriander to taste; remove to plate and keep warm.
Place more oil in pan to coat bottom; heat on high. When oil begins to haze add cold rice and let it get a slight glaze on the bottom before stirring with a spatula gently folding rice around pan to ensure that is heated through and taking care not break it up.
Create a small well in the center of the rice and add the frothed egg into it. Let egg cook until it starts to thicken, then gently stir with your spatula working the egg mixture until it is cooked without disturbing the rice around it. When the egg is cooked begin to fold the egg and rice together. Add the hot vegetables and other ingredients back into pan; fold in gently. Add seasonings and fresh herbs, peanuts and serve hot!