CAKE-GINGER STOUT CAKE
1 cup dry Irish stout
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup oil, grape seed or canola or mild EVOO
- 2 cups flour, all purpose
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
Glaze: 1 cup sifted powdered sugar; dash salt; 3 -5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, added 1 tablespoon at a time until you get the consistency you desire. We like it to soak into the warm cake, and just shine, and not become white when dry.
Prepare a pan, tube pan or bundt pan works well, by greasing and flouring. We do individual cakes in muffin top pans.
Combine stout beer and molasses in sauce pan and bring to boil. Off the heat, add the baking soda. Sit until foam dissipates.
In separate bowl whisk together eggs and sugars . Add oils and blend well. Add to beer and molasses.
Mix flour, baking powder, salt and spices in separate bowl. Add liquid ingredients whisking to combine well. Stir in fresh ginger. Pour into prepared pans and bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes or until center stops jiggling. Do not open oven until you reach 50 minutes of baking.
Remove cake from oven to cooling rack. Brush or drizzle on lemon glaze. After 10-20 minutes, remove cake from pan. Cool completely. Add second coat of glaze, if desired.