3 pounds blended pork and beef, ground
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup EVOO (use only if you grind your own beef)
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano whole
- 2 tablespoons dried basil whole
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried ground fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 cup live bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup half n half or whole milk
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
Blend meat with parsley, cheese, eggs, oil. In grinder or mortar pestle blend basil, parsley, garlic powder, fennel, salt and red pepper flakes; add to meat. Mix live crumbs with cream; when saturated, add to meat mix and blend.
At this point it is important to taste a small sample of the meat mixture, since not all parmesan cheeses are the same and it may need more or additional salt. Remove a small sample of this mixture and cook by either microwaving for 10 seconds or fry in small saute pan. Add additional seasoning if needed.
Using a number 8 scoop, measure out the portions and using your hands press into a round ball. Roll in the dry bread crumbs and place into a standard cupcake pan. (Rolling in dry crumbs comes from Alton Brown of Good Eats)
Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes, or until 165F in the center. Serve immediately.
Chef Note: Scoop into 1.5 ounce portions for appetizer size meatballs and bake in mini muffin tins about 12-15 minutes.