LENTILS & RICE
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1/2 cup lentils, Umbrian or Spanish pardina
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Flavors for Frying
- 1 Tablespoon EVOO
- 1/2 cup fresh fennel, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh carrot, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- make batch of Basmati Rice, see recipe
Place EVOO in saucepan over medium high heat. Add lentils. Add water, salt, and spice blend. Bring to boil; reduce to steady simmer for 20-25 minutes, until most of the liquid is gone and lentils are tender, not mushy. Meantime, place second EVOO in a medium saute pan over moderate heat and add the vegetables. Season with salt and cook until they are tender and al dente. Add the vegetables to the lentils and reserve.
Make batch of Basmati rice. (see recipe) Chill.
At service place grape seed oil in large saute pan. Heat on high and when ready add cooked cold rice to the pan. Cook until crispy about 3 minutes. Gently fold rice in pan being careful not to break it up. Add to hot lentils and toss to combine. Finish with parsley and adjust seasonings. Serve