LENTILS (with optional HOUSE CURED PORK BELLY)
Leave out pork belly for Vegetarian applications.
As needed EVOO
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ each fennel, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- ½ cup dried lentils
- 16 ounce mushroom or vegetable (without yeast and salt) stock, heated
- To Taste: thyme, sea salt, ground pepper, ground coriander
- ¼ cup house cured pork belly or cooked bacon, diced, hot
Lentil method: heat EVOO in large sauce pan; add shallots and garlic and cook until translucent; add fennel and carrot; cook for 2 minutes; add lentils and cook to toss; add stock and bring to a simmer – cook gently until lentils are “just” tender, approximately 20 minutes; add thyme, salt, pepper and coriander. Toss in bacon; heat through and remove from stove to cool.
LENTIL BARLEY CAKE ASSEMBLY
2 cups barley mixture
- 4 cups lentil mixture
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs, optional
- 3 Tablespoons butter or EVOO
Method: place cooled barley mixture in a large bowl; add half the lentil mixture and place remaining half of lentil mixture in food processor; pulse to make a medium paste and add to bowl; gently toss to combine all mixtures; mold into cakes and dredge in panko if desired. At service melt butter or oil and heat cakes to brown and cook through.