LENTILS WITH MIDDLE EASTER FLAVORS
This is sort of a take off on our lentil hash that is a good alternative accompaniment for meat or fish, but also easily stars as the center of the vegetarian plate. Add more stock or st0ck and water to make into a soup and serve with dollop of sour cream or crème fraiche and a swirl of a delicious EVOO.
As needed EVOO
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks of celery, small dice
- 1 carrot, small dice
- 1 small zucchini, small dice (optional)
- 1/2 cup lentils, cooked in 1 1/2 cups seasoned water, seasoned with
- 1 teaspoon flavors of the Middle East, see recipe or purchase
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled, diced and blanched
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons piquillo pepper, minced
Heat small amount EVOO in large skillet. Add shallots and garlic and cook until translucent. Add celery, carrot and zucchini, if using, and cook for 2 minutes. Toss in cooked lentils and potatoes and cook until heated through about 2 more minutes. Finish with parsley and piquillo peppers. Toss and serve.