MEATBALLS with three meats
Traditionally this recipe would include veal, pork and beef. But since most veal in US is not raised sustainably, we have replaced it with dark meat chicken. We also use these in equal proportions, but feel free to increase one or another as long as you end up with the same amount for the recipe.
8 ounces chuck, cubed one inch
- 8 ounces pork, shoulder, cubed one inch
- 8 ounces dark meat chicken, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 cup bread, crust removed, day-old, not dried, small pieces
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 small onion, minced (1 cup)
- 8 cloves garlic, cleaned and minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Place dried spices over cubed meat and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. grind after meat has rested under refrigeration for 30 minutes. Refrigerate ground spiced meat until needed. Do not over mix.
Combine bread and milk in small bowl until all milk is absorbed. Add to ground meat tossing gently to combine. Add remaining aromatic ingredients. Remove a small amount and cook. Taste for seasoning and moisture, and texture. Make adjustments if needed. A second trip though the grinder may be needed for desired consistency.
Scoop meatballs to desired size. Use a little water to moisten your hands to help shape into balls. Spread out onto a cookie sheet. Bake @ 400ºF for 15-20 minutes or until they reach 155ºF. Remove and serve alone or with desired sauce.