MISO CANTONESE GLAZE for fish or chicken
- 1 head garlic, cleaned of sprouts,
- 3/4 inch ginger, peeled, rough chop
- 1/4 bunch. 2-3 stems, green onion, cut in thirds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sambal oleek chili paste
- 1 tablespoon white miso, gluten freee
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup tamari or gluten free soy sauce
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
Combine garlic, ginger, green onion, chili paste and miso in a food processor, with blade attachment. Puree into paste. Remove and place mixture into medium sauce pot with sugar, soy , wine and juice. blend 3-4 tablespoons of the cold water with the cornstarch, set aside. Add remaining cold water to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes to develop its flavor. Finally add the cornstarch to hot sauce and bring back to boil; simmer a few minutes to dissolve the starch before serving . Serve immediately.
Chef Note: This sauce freezes well, however, if this is your plan, reserve the addition of the cornstarch until you are ready to serve. Bring back to boil add water and cornstarch and simmer a few minutes until thickened and no starch flavor is apparent.