MOJO, ("moe-hoe"), onion lime condiment
Use this condiment with anything! Inspired by the Cuben Vaca Fritas or “fried cow,” this is a tangy lime-onion condiment that will pair well with pork, steak, and beans. It is quite sweet and tart all at once, and can even be used as marinade for fish.
- 1 onion, yellow, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, sprout out! and chopped roughly
- 1/2 teaspoon each black pepper, sea salt
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, rubbed in palm of hand to release oils before adding
- 2/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (do not sub lemon)
Combine all but lime juice and oregano. Put into sauce pan over medium heat and cook gently for 30 minutes. Taste for doneness of onion; if done to your liking, remove from heat and procede with recipe. If more doneness is desired, add more cooking time in five minute intervals. When done to your liking, (we like the onion soft but still a bit toothy), add the oregano, then the lime juice and cool for service. Keeps 3-5 days in the refrigerator.