MY BIG GREEK SALAD
This as served in our ARTISAN BREAD class is tart and packed with a variety of flavors. You can add and subtract, change proteins and cheese, or combination of proteins and still have a great salad. Served with freshly made bread or rolls, it is lunch or light dinner.
Dressing: 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh Greek oregano, minced
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice and Zest of 1/2 to 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
4-5 Tablespoons EVOO, as needed
Vegetables: 2-3 heads romaine hearts, or other hearty green
1 seedless cucumber, chopped or sliced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped or sliced
- 6-8 red radish, sliced
1 small red bell pepper, seeded, chopped or sliced
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- To taste: Fresh pepper, coriander Sea salt
2 cans imported tuna in oil, or substitute drained or serve with roasted chicken
½ lemon, juiced
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- ½-3/4 pound feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
- 12 pepperoncini hot peppers, whole or cut in half
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts in water, drained, quartered
Grape cherry tomatoes, if available, or fresh seasonal heirloom tomatoes, diced
1 can rinsed garbanzo beans, especially if not using meat or fish
In separate bowl, blend shallot, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar; let sit 5 minutes before adding EVOO in steady slow stream while whisking. Add chopped oregano.
Prepare greens and vegetables. Toss together with lemon zest and parsley. Season with salt coriander and pepper to taste.
Place in serving container or divide on individual plates. Dress up with suggested toppings and any optional items as desired.