PEPERONATA (Italian pepper condiment)
1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 each red, yellow, orange, or green pepper, seeded, sliced into 2 1/2 strips
- 1 onion, sliced into half-moons
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 4-5 roma or plum tomatoes, optional
- Salt, pepper, coriander to taste
- 1/2 cup basil, torn roughly
- 1/4- 1/2 lemon, to juice on just before serving
- Garnish with sliced rings of pepperoncini, if desired
Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium high heat. When oil starts to shimmer, add onion, salt, and cook until onions just begin to color. Add the peppers and stir 3-5 minutes, until peppers release their oils, become aromatic and still retain a little crunch. Add garlic and sugar, dried oregano, and more salt, if needed. Add tomatoes if using, and remove from heat. Add basil. Grind with black pepper and squeese 1/4-1/2 lemon just before serving.
Place on crusty bruschetta and garnish with pepperoncini rings if using.