This accompanies mushroom strudel either as an appetizer or side. Feel free to change the pineapple to another fruit in season, such as mango, berries and walnuts, rhubarb, apple, pear, or cranberry.
1 cup sugar
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 orange, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 lime, peeled, seeded, diced
- ½ each, medium red onion, minced
- 4 each dried dates, chopped or 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups (fresh if possible) pineapple, peeled, diced
Combine sugar, vinegar and juice; simmer 5 minutes; add zest, orange, lime, onion, dates or raisins, candied ginger, garlic and pepper flakes; simmer for 30 minutes; add ground ginger and pineapple; simmer for an additional 15 minutes; cool for service.