POTATOES & PARSNIP MASH
This is a good companion for collard greens.
- 4 each potatoes, starchy ones such as Russets, quartered, peeled, if desired*
- 1 whole onion, yellow, quartered
- Water to cover
- 1-2 teaspoon sea salt for cooking water
- 1/2 cup cream or 4 ounces butter
- 1-2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1/2-1 head garlic, cloves cleaned of sprout
- 1 large or 2 small parsnips, peeled, diced,
Place prepared potatoes, onion, garlic, and parsnips in large stockpot. Add enough water to cover plus 1 inch; add salt and simmer until tender, approximately 20-25 minutes. Drain and mash by hand for rustic results. Add cream or butter, EVOO and adjust seasoning with salt if needed.
*CHEF NOTE: Leave peel on or remove, or remove partially depending upon the size of potato. Russets have more potato meat to skin ratio so don’t need peeling. Fingerlings have a almost equall skin to potato meat ratio than a Russet, so partially peel them to make more potato meat to skin ratio.