Use a fresh Cinderella pumpkin or a good brand organic canned pumpkin, as canned pumpkin is typically the Cinderella variety. This is a starter in our Skillets Dinner in February.
2 pounds Cinderella pumpkin, cleaned, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- (2 small cans organic pumpkin or use combination fresh and canned to yield about 2 pounds)
- 1-3 tablespoon EVOO
- 2 medium - large shallots, diced
- 8-10 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup wine
- Salt pepper coriander to taste
- Suggested finishes: Yogurt cheese with cinnamon; chives, pumpkin seeds, toasted, basil evoo.
In sauce pan, coat bottom with EVOO; sweat shallot and onion until soft and translucent; add squash and continue to sweat with 1 cup wine. When soft, puree using stick blender or food processor. Adjust consistency with hot mild stock or water if too thick. Adjust seasonings. Serve hot with yogurt cheese or sour cream and a little sherry wine drizzeled in the bowl.