This recipe can be made with 100% quinoa for anyone avoiding wheat. Just replace the bulghur with more quinoa **What is quinoa?
1 cups water or juice (orange)
- 1/2 cup bulghur (may be omited for gluten free)
- 2 cup cooked quinoa, white, black, red or combination
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup preserved lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 2 Tablespoons minced red onion or shallots
- 1-3 cloves garlic, minced
- As needed EVOO
- Optional: 1/2 cup tomatoes medium dice or 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half, 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
Place bulghur in bowl; bring water to boil and place over bulghur and steep covered 30 minutes. Cool.
Blend cooled bulghur cold quinoa. Add mint, lemon zest, shallots, garlic, chopped cucumber, tomatoes, and parsley. Add oils and lemon juice and seasonings, and chill for service.
To cook quinoa:
1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- Optional: 1/2 tsp salt
Rinsing and soaking quinoa is optional. Buying a good quality brand like Bob’s Red Mill should eliminate the need.
Place quinoa in pot and add water and salt. Bring to boil, cover, drop heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave lid on and let sit 10 more minutes. Fluff as for rice. Cool completely in refrigerator for use in salad.