RICOTTA CHEESE & ARBORIO RICE CHEESE CAKE
This is my grand aunt’s recipe with the addition of cooked Arborio rice which improves the texture immensely. Here it is with a graham cracker crust on the bottom only, which may be eliminated all together by simply butter-flouring the pan; or butter and dust with chopped nuts like pistachio.
3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 pounds ricotta cheese, well-drained
- 3/4-1 1/2 cups cooked Arborio rice that has been cooked in milk with flavorings as follows:(1 cup raw rice to 1 quart 10 ounces of milk, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 vanilla bean, scrapped)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- JUICE of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 - 1 cup golden raisins, plumped in hot water or flavored liquid like muscat canelli then drained well before adding
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 recipe for graham cracker crust, unbaked (see recipe)
- 3 egg whites, well beaten
Preheat oven to 350 F. Beat yolks for 2 minutes until foamy and pale yellow. Add rice, sugar, zest, cheese, cream vanilla & lemon juice. Blend. Fold in raisins and egg whites. Bake 30 minutes then check, turn pan in oven and bake 10 more minutes. Turn off oven and leave cake in 4 more minutes until set. Cool completely before serving. Store in refrigerator.
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
14 ounces graham crackers, crushed
- 5 ounces butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon coriander, fresh ground
Place crumbs in bowl; add melted butter and coriander and blend well. Press into spring form pan on bottom only. Fill then proceed with baking instructions.