RISOTTO CAKE, ANDALUCIAN VEGETARIAN
3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 each red and green pepper, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup arborio, short grain rice
- 1 teaspoon Bob's Flavors of Spain mix (purchase or see recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, dried ground
- 1/4 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1/4 cup vinegar from the olives
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 5 cups tomato stock, hot (made by adding two cans water to one can of whole tomatoes, nothing added)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 cup of green olives, pitted and chopped
Place small amount of oil in large sauce pot over moderate heat. Add shallot, garlic, peppers, and cook till aromatic. Add rice, spices, wine, saffron and vinegar juice off of the olives; cook until slightly reduced. Add 4-5 cups hot tomato stock, slowly until each addition is absorbed and all is until completely absorbed. Season with salt, pepper, and coriander. Fold in parsley and olives. Taste and adjust seasoning. Spread into greased or buttered backing dish to about 1 inch thickness. Cool uncovered in the refrigerator. Cut into circles using cookie cutter when risotto has cooled completely.
Just before service, heat saute pan over medium high heat; add EVOO to cover bottom. When hot, add risotto cakes and leave until rice cooks and caramelizes and releases from the bottom. Turn and cook the other side until center is 165ºF internally.
Serve immediately with pan seared fennel crusted scallops.