Spanish topping for seafood, chicken, or roasted meats. Gives nutty flavor and rich mouth feel. Add to pan-seared Halibut and braised pork belly as seen in THE DINNER SHOW July 2011. Also seen in the March 2013 DINNER SHOW.
4 Tablespoons EVOO
- 2 slices white bread, crust removed
- 3 dried ancho peppers, soaked, seeded and minced
- 1 small fresh jalapeno pepper, split in half
- 3 whole cloves garlic
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roasted pepitos
- 1/2 cup almonds, roasted (or pecans)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Sea Salt
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add the oil; when the oil is hot, add the bread and fry until golden on each side, about 2 minutes; remove and set aside
In the same pan, add the peppers; sauté for 1 minute and remove from the pan; reserve the oil only.
In a food processor, combine the peppers and garlic; process until a paste forms; add the reserved fried bread, tomatoes, pepitos, and nuts; process until smooth; add the vinegar, 2 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved oil and season with sea salt, processing for 15 seconds more. Add the parsley and process for 5 seconds. Remove and serve or store in an airtight container under refrigeration until ready to use.