SAUSAGE, ELK & PORK
- 12 ounces elk shoulder, 1 inch cubes, trimmed
- 12 ounces pork shoulder, 1 inch cubes with fat intact
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 med onion, minced to make 1 cup
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled, sprout removed, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Place dried spices over cubed meats and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Grind meat using hand crank or grinder attachment to standard mixer. Grind only once. Add remaining aromatic ingredients. Remove a small amount of the mixture to taste to check seasonings by cooking this small amount . Taste for seasoning and moisture and texture. Make adjustments if needed. Typically we want to be sure the meat flavors dominate, not the spice or garlic. Also we check the texture and sometimes we put it through the grinder a second time to get a less coarse texture.
Fabricate sausage meat in one of these ways. Stuff into casings; make into patties; or leave as is, ground sausage.
At service, grill or bake at 400°F for approximately 10-12 minutes or until internal temperature is 155°F. Serve immediately.