TABOULE, SICILIAN STYLE
Precook some bulgur tabouleh and chill. Then make this salad typical of Sicily.
- prepare 10 ounces of precooked cous cous, chilled
- 1/2 each red, yellow pepper, diced, small, optional
- 2 stalks celery, minced, optional
- 1/2 cup mint, minced
- 1/2 cup parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup basil, minced
- juice of one - two lemons
- 8 tablespoons EVOO
- To taste, salt, pepper, coriander
- 3 ounces canned Tuna in oil, drained, coarsely crumbled
- 1-2 firm tomatoes, Romas or Cherry if available
Make your favorite cous cous. Dress with a tablespoon or two of EVOO, and chill. Combine chilled couscous with red, yellow peppers, celery, tomatoes, mint, parsley, basil. Squeeze in desired lemon juice. Add EVOO a little at a time. Season with salt pepper and coriander. Add tuna to top of dish or blend in. You can also sear ahi tuna and slice to top of molded shape of the tabouleh.
Chef’s Note: We eat this salad all year round, so we don’t always have fresh tomatoes. We don’t eat tomatoes out of season anymore, so we often skip them, add blood orange sections, or some of our dehydrated tomatoes reconstituted with balsamic vinegar, called Tomato Jam. All or none works well, as long as you choose a great canned tuna–packed with EVOO, please.