SALAD, FRISEE (BITTER GREENS)
There is something about this curly endive head of lettuce that has captured the French and Lenore, too! She prefers this one to another favorite, Romaine, for almost every salad, for its fabulous texture and how well the spiky leaves hold onto the dressing. Its versatility as an accompaniment to all the popular entrees is noteworthy! Note the addition of other bitter greens that make for more interest when they are also available.
ADD INS: per serving: add 1/4 cup strawberries, fresh, quartered; 1/4 cup cucumbers
And optionally adding 2-3 ounces of fresh picked clean DUNGENESS CRAB, served with WARM BRIE DRESSING makes a full entrée salad that is delicious and light.
- 2 cups Frisee, clean, spun dry
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced, or omit and use pickled shallots
- 1 Tablespoon, white balsamic vinegar or maple balsamic
- 2 tablespoons EVOO, or 1/2 cup bleu cheese oil, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt, ground coriander and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup micro mint, or 8 small tender leaves of mint from top of the plant (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted and chopped Marcona almonds, optional
Combine all ingredients into a medium bowl; toss to distribute dressing to all leaves. Check seasoning; add more salt or vinegar if needed for the end result you want.
*CHEF NOTE: Blue Cheese oil is made with 1 cup your favorite bleu cheese and 3 cups EVOO. You most likely will have leftover with this ratio of cheese to oil, so if you don’t want leftover cut the amounts by half or more. Bleu cheese oil must be used at room temperature; and leftover stored in the refrigerator, until needed. Just bring back to room temperature before using.