CAKE, CHOCOLATE ALMOND CAKE (GF)
Recipe inspired by internet dive for chocolate cake which we turned GF with a couple changes as printed here
6 ounces chopped bitter sweet chocolate
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 cup (7oz) granulated sugar
2 tablespoons AP flour or gluten free flour (we use GF by Caputo)
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 large eggs separated plus 1 large yolk (total: 5 whites 6 yolks)
Pinch of salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces, softened
- Adjust oven rack to middle of oven; preheat to 350˚ F. Grease 9-inch springform pan, line with parchment paper and grease pan sides only
- Microwave chocolate in bowl at 50 percent powder, stirring occasionally, until melted, 2-4 minutes; let cool completely.
- Blend almond flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, AP or gluten free flour. Set aside.
- Using stand mixer and whisk attachment, whip egg whites and cream of tartar on medium low speed until foamy about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium high and whip until stiff peaks form, 3-4 minutes; transfer to large bowl. Return the now empty bowl to mixer. Using paddle attachment, beat butter and remaining 3/4 cup sugar ion medium high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg yolks, one at a time, and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low, add cooled chocolate, and mix until just combined. Add nut flour mixture until just combined, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Stir in 1/3 of egg whites. Gently fold remaining egg whites into batter until no white streaks remain. Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth top with rubber spatula. Gently tap pan on counter to release air bubbles. When done, center of cake will still be moist. Let cool completely in pan on rack, about 3 hours before removing from pan and removing paper from bottom. Lightly dust cake right side up on serving plate.