CRAB CAKES WITH AIOLI
1 pound Crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, heavy, not cooked salad dressing or use homemade aioli
- 1 teaspoon Bob's New Bay blend seasoning
- 1 tablespoon green onion, minced
- juice of half lemon
- 2 small piquillo peppers, canned, chopped
Working over bowl of ice, place drain crab in bowl and pick shell. Squeeze out more water and discard water. Keep crab in bowl over ice to finish blending remaining ingredients. Combine mayo, seasoning and onion and toss gently with crab. Shape into patties 2 inch wide by 1 inch high; refrigerate cakes for a minimum of 30 minutes before cooking. At service, heat butter & EVOO to coat bottom of skillet. On medium high heat, cook crab cakes until lightly browned on one side. Flip over and heat through about 1-3 min longer. Spritz with lemon juice. Garnish with garlic aioli and micro herbs if desired.
This is a homemade mayonnaise that typically includes raw garlic. Makes a great condiment for fish and shellfish. We have two versions. One with garlic and one with preserved (cured) lemon, chopped.
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 egg yolks, room temp.
- ½ cup EVOO plus 1/2 cup grape seed oil
- 2-4 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
Cured lemon version:
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/2 cup EVOO plus 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 4 teaspoon cured lemon
- 2 teaspons lemon juice
- pinch salt if needed (remember cured lemons are salty)
Whisk yolks well until light and fluffy; add oils in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Add garlic if using, cured lemon if using and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning with sea salt; reserve chilled.
Chef note: AIOLI is an uncooked egg sauce and though low risk, it is important to abide by doctor’s recommendation for eating raw eggs.