CHUTNEY, RED OR GREEN TOMATO (or ITALIAN PLUM)
Replace the tomatoes with Italian plums, fresh and pitted, and prepare the entire recipe as written below for a variation to this one. Unfortunately, red or green tomatoes and fresh plums are in the same season so you just have to choose one or combine them!
1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned, seeded
- 1 lime, peeled seeded, diced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins, dates, or dried plums
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, rough chop, optional
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/3 cups fresh green tomatoes *
*may substitute fresh Italian plums or green plums or mixture of both
Combine all ingredients except the fruit in sauce pan and simmer 10-15 minutes. Add fresh tomatoes. Remove from heat and cool for service. (see chef’s note)
Store in the refrigerator until needed. At service, add 2 cups last of season cherry tomatoes, halved; and garnish with 2 tablespoons of mint, chiffonade per 2 cups of chutney, if desired.
Chef’s Note: If using plums, you may need to cook 10 more minutes before removing from heat and chilling for service.