MEATBALLS, ARMENIAN OR MIDDLE EASTERN
Thanks to our dear friend and Bob’s cooking competitor, Marty, who just happens to be Armenian American, we have several recipes that have been inspired by him. That includes Bob’s Flavors of the Middle East Spice Blend, which we sell ready made or one can make from our recipe.
- 8 ounces lamb, cubed 1 inch
- 8 ounces pork, shoulder, cubed one inch
- 8 ounces dark meat chicken, cubed 1 inch
- 3 teaspoons Flavors of Middle East spice blend
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 cup bread, crust removed day-old not dried, small pieces
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 small onion, minced (1 cup)
- 4-6 cloves garlic, cleaned, sprout out, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Place dried spices over cubed meat and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Grind only once using attachment to your stand mixer, or crank grinder attached securely to a table. Refrigerate ground spiced meat until needed. Do not over mix.
Combine bread and milk in small bowl until all milk is absorbed. Add to ground meat tossing gently to combine. Add remaining aromatic ingredients.
Remove a small amount and cook. Taste for seasoning and moisture, and texture. Make adjustments if needed. A second trip though the grinder may be needed for desired consistency.
Scoop meatballs to desired size. Scoop onto the palm of your water moistened hands to help shape into balls. Place onto. Bake @ 400ºF for 15-20 minutes or until they reach 155ºF. Remove and serve alone or with desired sauce.
Suggested sauce: cici saffron-tomato sauce